Friday, September 9, 2011

The Happiness Project

Before things totally run away from me, I thought I'd write a little bit about why I wanted to read this book and what I was hoping to get out of it.

Of course, it is a New York Times bestseller so when there was first a buzz around the internet, I made a mental note of it.

I started following Gretchen's blog a good few months ago and when I got my Kindle, hers was the first book I bought :)

I requested her paradox card since I'd bought an e-version of the book and I was delighted when I got it at work, all the way from New York.

Back to my expectations...

Some of you know I've not been my usual happy self.

This year has been hard for me, especially with the business and some relationship stuff.

I'm trusting in God and I know He will see me through but as is always the case when I'm in a valley, it's really hard to see the end from here.

So I thought I needed some happiness to keep me focussed while I'm being faithful with the other stuff.

My expectations will have been met if:

  1. I have about 5 different things to blog about (hey, I'm being honest)
  2. I have a couple of insights or aha moments that can help me reframe things in my life
  3. I get to know Gretchen better (I do love when I read an author's blog and "get" them)
  4. I increase my happiness quotient

So far so good.

What about you?

Why do you want to read this book, and what are your expectations?

4 comments:

Shayne said...

i'll be quite honest I'm not very far. Into Feb. But I am enjoying it. I have had a few 'ah-ha' type moments so i know that i am definately going to get a lot out of this book.

As for getting to know her - i went onto her blog and found it a bit messy/disorganised so that put me right off it! Terrible i know.

But I shall keep you posted.

HOw are you going with it? What percentage does kindle say you've read?

Deanna said...

I haven't started yet! : ) Hopefully I will get by the library today or tomorrow.

I have to say, I agree with Shayne about her blog! I just wasn't very impressed...it was like there were so many different things she was trying to highlight that I didn't know where to start. Disorganized is definitely what I would call it too.

Looking forward to reading though!

Marcia (123 blog) said...

Gosh, I had to click onto her blog to see what you guys meant.

I don't think it's disorganised at all - it's a typical 3-column blog...

Shayne, I"m done - I finished last night. Will be posting a bit more every few days.

cat said...

I am somewhere in May - we can thank the brilliant Gautrain for that! I am loving it! Loving! I find her blog fine, but really no visual oemf.